Thursday, November 19, 2009

Road Signs

Hello Friends,

Sorry about the low quality of these two pictures. I seldom see signs except from the seat of a moving taxi, service or bus. These two are on the approach to Huwwara from the north. They look like typical US freeway signs only they are in Hebrew, Arabic, and English. The interesting thing about roads signs here is that they only guide the way to Israeli settlements and a few major city, e.g. Nablus, Ramallah, and Jerusalem. Travelers are left to wonder, wander, or ask questions to determine the whereabouts of the many Palestinian villages. I have never seen a sign pointing the way to Huwwara, MPT's home base. Indeed you seldom even see a sign saying "Huwwara Village limits" or "Welcome to Huwwara" or the like. There are many ideas about the reasons for this and message communicated by this. It seems to be one of the many indignities of life under occupation.

Huwwara's main street is the major north/south highway for this area. All sorts of trucks, buses, cars (Palestinian and Israeli), cabs, Hummers, and the like roll through town. There are no sidewalks. People walk on the shoulder and just as often on the edge of the pavement. Children walk it and cross it to get to and from school. There are no stoplights or posted speed limits. Just crossing can be a challenge at times almost as bad as downtown Suttons Bay during the peak of tourist season. I was told that Israelis do not feel save so slowing down or stopping would be unacceptable. One learns quickly about priorities here. And everybody know who is Numbero Uno.


Yizhar is the Israeli settlement up the hill from Huwwara - oh, I'm not sure - maybe 1-2 miles. Settlers from Yizhar raid the edges of neighboring villages from time to time, damaging houses and cutting/burning olive treats. There seem to be few consequences. A rabbi from Yizhar recently published a book detailing when it is appropriate to kill gentiles. In all fairness many Jewish leaders were quick to disagree. It is not unlike the many hate groups in the USA that try to hide behind Christianity and the Bible.
I was returning home alone last night from a distant village (long story; this seldom happens in MPT operations; I was teamed for one day with a different activist group.). I shared a cab with two settlers headed for Yizhar. They were very helpful to me though they parted company quickly when we left the cab as they had probably figured out my role when I said I was visiting in Huwwara. I then approached a Palestinian family asking (with my three words of Arabic) for transportation to Huwwara. They looked frighten and just said, "La La La" (No, No, No) The "sevice" arrived shortly. They tried again to discourage me. I finally figured out what was going on and said, "America, Israeli La La La, America" - as I pointed to myself. They answered with a smile and the ever present "Welcome".
Peace, Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment