I spent a few days traveling by myself before catching my flight home. The following picture is in "The Galilee" - as they call it - just north of the modern city of Tiberius and couple of miles from the ancient site of Capernum. That is the Sea of Galilee in the background and I am standing somewhere on the hill where the Sermon on the Mount was shared, given, preached, or whatever. The spot is a tad over developed for my liking.
I am back in the USA now and well fed having spent T.Day at my Mom's with family.
The word to us in training was, "You will get out. Even if they figure out that you are an activist, they really want you to leave." But they do want to pump you for information and try to limit the "damage" you may cause by confiscating photos and such. I mailed all of that stuff so entered the airport and customs with minimal concern. Indeed they moved me along with little more than a glance and a few questions like, "Did you meet anyone on your trip? Did you go to any homes to eat? Will you be corresponding with anyone?" and "I ask you these questions because I am concerned that someone might have tried to slip something into your luggage?" I was tempted to ask, "How would a future correspondence with someone allow them to access my luggage?" But I decided avoiding a hassle was the better choice.
The real story was the young lady behind me in line. I had the pleasure of talking with her before the incident and after as we were on the same flight to Brussels. She was with a Catholic tour group but had separated from them to join yet a second tour group headed to Africa. Furthermore, she had shaved her head in solidarity with some family members undergoing chemo. AND, she had been married to the guy with a Arabic last name. Alone, the look, the name - BINGO. Israeli security had their target. They went through her luggage and body with a fine tooth comb. She told me later that she must have lit up the airport with her blushing. They did not strip search her but a female soldier did pat her down "very thoroughly" in a private room. She said, "All my stuff is spread out on this table and they take me away. I wondered how much would be there when I returned." Her stuff was OK; they did walk her through the remaining screening steps as they had covered all the bases. When we got in the air, I told her my story and what I thought they were looking for. We had a great time of sharing. She, a recent convert to Catholicism, giving me a passionate review of Catholicism 101; and I sharing a bit of Shane Claiborne's ideas of Christian active involvement.
I will post at least one more blog before I end this story. My pictures are all in the mail somewhere and I hope to share few. I want to tell you about Nilin, the shootings, the Red Crescent, and share some closing thoughts.
Peace, Fred
Glad you are home Fred!
ReplyDelete