I used to take students from Suttons Bay High School backpacking over spring break. Parents often had questions about safety. What about bears, drinking water, and other things that were generally not part of our normal daily experiences. The fear of the unknown has a way of warping our sense of reality. There are dangers on the Appalachian Trail. But no one ever asked me about factors that were of the highest risk. The animal most likely to injure a hiker on the AT is a domesticated dog. Falling trees are a very real danger in any outdoor camping experience. And a Boy Scout study found that the most dangerous part of scouting was the car ride to and from the event/camp. I never had a question about a dog, a tree, my car, or my driving record. We all knew there were risks but we judged the benefits to outweigh the dangers.
I find it awkward when someone asks, "Will it be safe for you in Palestine?" If I say, "Yes", I am not being truthful. If I say, "No", I fear it leaves the impression of great danger. Of course, there are risks. Yet I truly believe if a whole bunch of us stood up and said no to violence and took some small risks to decrease the potential for violence, then this world would become a safer place. If I am correct, then to do nothing allows the world to continue being a more dangerous place. I understand that I will be exposed to a personal level of risk that is higher than hanging out in Suttons Bay for six weeks. But as some would say, "It's not all about you, Fred!" And it isn't all about me. It's about trying to help some Israeli or some Palestinian be safer for one more day. It's about doing my part to help the world become a safer place. "Is my trip safe?", you ask. Safe for whom?
...with peace as the goal, Fred
No comments:
Post a Comment