I met Jill on a work action near Jericho. Long way to go to meet someone from back home.
I also met an Italian; they point at their boots.
Yesterday in Kafr Qaddum, getting ready for the show. Oh my gosh, the rest of us forgot to dress for war or bring any special tools of the trade. No wonder negotiations don't work; one side has all the power. It reminds me of the Lion and the Lamb when the Lion replies, "Sure we can talk; right after I finish my lunch."
....written Saturday, Nov. 5, 2011...
I spoke with our Rabbis for Human Rights contact last night. He said, "All of the olives in the dangerous areas in all of the West Bank have been picked." I then called our ISM contact who said, "Well that might not be quite true yet but soon will be." So who really knows? And, after weeks of sunshine we have gotten a lot of rain in the last two days (make that three, it started again) and that stops much of the picking. I know it is important work but I am ready for a change of pace.
....written Saturday, Nov. 5, 2011...
I spoke with our Rabbis for Human Rights contact last night. He said, "All of the olives in the dangerous areas in all of the West Bank have been picked." I then called our ISM contact who said, "Well that might not be quite true yet but soon will be." So who really knows? And, after weeks of sunshine we have gotten a lot of rain in the last two days (make that three, it started again) and that stops much of the picking. I know it is important work but I am ready for a change of pace.
We had tear gas for lunch yesterday - Kafr Qaddum again. btw .... I think I mention that Abraham had a connection to Kafr Qaddum? What connection we did not know. Gaby was interested so did some online research and started laughing. She said, "Legend has it that Abraham was circumcised there." What a claim to fame! and then she adds, "with an axe!!" I guess he fathered three religions so somebody's aim must have been pretty good. We will post on the MPT blog info about that event, i.e. yesterday's demonstration not Abraham's close call. It was structured much differently than the first time we attend. Some times it feels like a game. I can envision the community organizer calling the military and saying, "We will be there again this Friday but could we make it about 30 minutes later? You know with prayers at the Mosque and tea we just need a bit more time to organize.".........."Well, OK this time. But if it runs long, our guys will miss part of the game on the telly and that really ticks them off." So it goes. I don't mean to imply that the demonstrations are invalid or unimportant just that they feel scripted. One side throw stones; the other tear gas, "rubber" over steel bullets, sound bombs and an occasional intrusion into the village. I suppose it would be hard to have it otherwise. I have a lot to learn before I can really understand all of the dynamics. The problems are real, the risks are real, and the potential consequences (especially for Palestinian who throw rocks) are very real and severe. And some Israeli soldiers must have issues related to boredom and conflicting feelings about what they are called to do. (We just read on line that one international ended up in the ambulance - passed out from too much tear gas. She is alright.)
Speaking of throwing rocks. We are encouraged not to take pictures of rocking throwing especially not to show faces. But if the Israelis want pictures of who is throwing rocks, they will simply take them. Most of the guys do not cover their faces and I would bet that the Israeli Occupational Forces have a few cameras. If not, they could probably convince some big western enabling country to give them a few. The rocks do fly and every time I have witnessed the start of the action, it was the rocks that went first. But rocks against fully armed soldiers, the internationally recognized right to resist, moderation or aggression, and such are all topics for a much longer discourse.
I have about 17 days left on this trip. We leave Huwwara on the 14th and head to Sheikh Jarrah in East Jerusalem, Bethlehem, and Hebron to name a few location. Part of our mission is to further educate ourselves so we can continue to share with our communities back home. I look forward to seeing John Gore in Bethlehem, to traveling for a few days as a tourist, to getting out of Israel without too much hassle, to seeing Nancy again, and did I mention turkey and fixins? My Mom makes the best stuffing. I'd be happy with just stuffing and sweet potatoes.... well maybe a slice or two of blueberry pie ... with ice cream ... and ...and ..........
...dreaming of piece (oops that bb pie slipped in again) I mean PEACE, Fred
No comments:
Post a Comment